The end of the school year is fast approaching. TheBoy is going full on with the whole end of school year program. This is a HUGE step for him. With the only Elementary school in the area that goes all the way to 6th grade, he will be transitioning into Junior High School Next year. So here’s what we are celebrating:
- The end of another school year, a huge transition. Summer begins on June 3rd.
- We’ve received our invitation to the promotion ceremony and BBQ on June 1st. So excited.
- His 6th grade field trip is next week.
- We’ve had the annual meeting with his teachers and counselor in regards to his gifted program progress and his goals for next year. They always give him raving reviews. I love it!
- He had his annual County Math Team Competition and was awarded the silver medal. So very proud.
- We also had a meeting with an Accelerated Academy because he was pre-qualified to attend. It is for “the best of the best” of the county. (And I all could hear was Will Smith in MEN IN BLACK saying, “The best of the best of the best. With honors. SIR!” every time that phrase came out of the presenter’s mouth.) The first ever Academy for junior high where 7th and 8th graders can earn high school credits. However, after listening to their sales pitch, well, we just don’t see any difference between what he’s been doing since his 4th grade year with his online virtual school and this Academy except that he will be in a physical school, segregated from the rest of the school – which would open up resentment from the other kids and possible bullying. Plus, he’s already starting some high school classes and he really wants to attend the school he’s zoned for, even though it’s not the best school. I think his supplemental schooling online and with us he will be ok.
- And lastly, I am celebrating a 3 day weekend. The first 3 day weekend since the middle of January. It’s ok to take advantage of the sales that are going on, BBQs and parties and fun. But please take a moment of your day and reflect, pay respect, say a prayer, remember all those who have fallen in defense of our freedom. Please do not say “Happy Memorial Day,” as it is nothing to be *happy* about. Veterans Day is the day for celebrating our Veterans. Memorial Day is a day to remember the ultimate sacrifices so many have made for you, me, our families, and our country. Thank you.
What are you celebrating this week?
Thank you to our lovely host, Lexa Cain for taking over and continuing the Celebrate the Small Things blog hop. I would also like to thank her co-hosts, L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge and Katie @ TheCyborgMom – without them, I’m sure this would be a daunting task!
To be part of this blog hop, all you have to do is put your name on the linky list on Lexa’s Blog, and then post every Friday about something you’re grateful for that week. It can be about writing or family or school or general life. This is the funnest and easiest blog hop ever! (Originated by VikLit)